Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Adventures of Errol Morris and Werner Herzog

I propose Marissa and I recreate the moment in the 1970s when directors Errol Morris (The Thin Blue Line, one of my favorite documentaries) and Werner Herzog (Grizzly Man, the cult movie Aguirre: The Wrath of God and, my favorite, writer of the fake Loch Ness documentary Incident at Loch Ness) went to Plainfield, WI (only an hour and a half away from Madison) to dig up Ed Gein's mother's grave. To see if Ed Gein did the same. Anyone else in?

From The Believer (skip to part III):
WH: Errol wanted to know more about the grave robberies, because Ed Gein had not only murdered people. He also excavated freshly buried corpses at the cemetery. And I do remember: he dug up graves in a pretty perfect circle. And in the very center of this circle was the grave of his mother. And Errol kept wondering, did he excavate his mother and use her flesh and skin for some sculptures in things at his home?


EM: A relatively innocuous question. [Laughter]


WH: So the only way to find out is, I proposed, let’s go to Plainfield, grab a shovel, and dig at night. And I showed up in Plainfield, Wisconsin, because I was doing some filming up in Alaska and I came in a car all the way from Alaska down to Plainfield to visit Errol—


EM: I was living with Ed Gein’s next-door neighbors at the time, who I had befriended. Beth and Carroll Gear.


WH: You didn’t show up.

2 comments:

  1. another good Herzog/Morris moment you can recreate is when Herzog told Morris that he would eat his shoe if he ever finally put out gates of heaven. In this documentary about Fitzcarraldo (sp?) he and Alice Waters cook his shoe and he eats it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This could be an awesome photo series. Herzog/Morris Moments In Bad Ideas.

    ReplyDelete