Monday, June 1, 2009

Don't Miss Lists

The library has once again listed the newest arrivals from the past month and I bring you the best. Bold = Hold.

DVDs
Strange Aeons: The Thing on The Doorstep - I don't know what this is but it's related to HP Lovecraft and I like things on doorsteps. I also like whatnots in gazebos.

Shortbus - No, I'm not getting it for the unsimulated sex. I'm getting it because it's directed by John Cameron Mitchell, and that makes me think of Cameron Mitchell.



Side Effects - I've already seen this and it wasn't very good but I note it because you can watch Katherine Heigl running around Madison in it.

The Unborn - I find it interesting that this movie about a killer baby shares the name with an otherwise unrelated killer baby movie called The Unborn that we watched on bad movie night along with Baby Blood, a movie that, its rumored, has Gary Oldman as the English-language version's voice of the baby and he also stars in this movie. Doesn't that blow your mind? I mean, how long I was able to make that sentence?

Death Wish 4 The Crackdown - I've never seen a Death Wish, should I start with this one? A revenge action movie from 1987 appeals to me.

Watchmen - I wasn't going to see it but there were only a hundred holds for 10 copies. That's like being 10th in line! I guess this movie isn't very popular.

Air America - à la the movie Prairie Home Companion, this a fictional movie staring Janeane Garofalo and Al Franken depicting the last days of the talk radio network before it collaspes into bankruptcy. I'm just kidding, it's some crap with Mel Gibson.

My Bloody Valentine - Last month I worried the library wouldn't have 3-D glasses for their copy of Friday the 13th Part 3-D but they did! And it didn't work all that great. But maybe this 3-D remake will be different.

JCVD - Jean-Claude Van Damme is to this what Mickey Rourke was to The Wrestler. Although I don't see anybody offering JC a major villian role in a superhero movie. May I suggest Mr. Mxyzptlk?



To Market To Market To Buy A Fat Pig - What?

Picture of Light - I can't believe they made a movie about that hack Thomas Kinkade.

Bollywood Booty - This isn't really for me.

The Firm: Get chisel'd - Closer. But if Wilford Brimley just scares you into getting "chisel'd" I'm not down.

Cardio For Indie Rockers - Finally, an exercise tape for me and my love for Animal Collective.

The Hollywood Librarian: A Look at Librarians Through Film - Hmm, how did this get purchased? Actually, this could be interesting. Kind of a Celluloid Closet for librarians. Did you know Norman Bates was a librarian? They just could spell it out back then. Unusually close to his mom. Nudge-nudge. Into Taxidermy. Wink-wink. Kills people in the shower. I can't believe people missed it back then.

All Star Turkey Hunting - Oh man, they're all here. Brad Harris, Ben Lee, Terry Rohm, Harold Knight. I would've loved to be a turkey on the wall when those guys got together.

Christian The Lion: The Lion Who Thought He Was People - I wouldn't be able to watch this. I can't watch the YouTube video without tearing up, despite the terrible music. See, I'm not dead inside:



Here come the waterworks.

The Lice Busters Video - "With fun filled help from GZ, our popular animated germ buster". I came very close to getting this one.

Weeds, Season Four - Is this the season that Mary-Louise Parker is embarrassed about because of her big nipples?


Music
Safe As Milk by Captain Beefheart - Is anybody into Captain Beefheart? Are they any good?

My Maudlin Career by Camera Obscura

Fast & Furious Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - Nothing remarkable about this except for the odd choice of album cover, according to the library:

4 comments:

  1. Thomas Kinkade is America's most collected living artist. 1 in 20 Americans can't be wrong, but one guy with a blog can. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if the thing on the doorstep is dog poo? By the way, is there dog poo on your doorstep?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why aren't you getting the Unborn?

    ReplyDelete
  4. People with blogs are never wrong!

    I have to see these nipples, what with all the buzz on them.

    There's dog poo outside our back door. I checked, the thing on the doorstep is a Asenath. Wait, that could still be dog poo.

    The Unborn got bad reviews. I think I've had it with PG-13 horror moives with CW actors. Except for Drag Me to Hell! Although, that thing climbing up the stairs in the ads was freaky:

    http://cdn.giant.blackplanet.com/wp-content/uploads//2009/01/4514_tp_00019.jpg

    ReplyDelete