Thursday, December 28, 2023

Best Movies of 2023 #21-11

21. Saltburn

Some people really hate this movie. And they hated the director's previous movie Promising Young Woman. I looked up all their concerns and gave it a lot of thought and it turns out they're all completely wrong. Huh.

20. Chop and Steele

If you think the Found Footage Festival guys wouldn't make a documentary about being sued after going onto morning news shows as a fake strong men duo and it wouldn't include a scene of one of them lubricating his dog's penis I don't know what reality you're living in.

19. Wham!

This gets added to the movies I've watched with an exclamation point in the title!

Airplane! 

The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! 

Top Secret! 

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes! 

¡Three Amigos! 

Mars Attacks! 

That Thing You Do! 

Baadasssss! 

Saved! 

Anvil! The Story of Anvil 

The Informant! 

SLC Punk! 

Viva Knievel! 

Zero Hour! 

Return of the Killer Tomatoes! 

Foodfight!

Gotcha!

Great Balls of Fire!

Machete Maidens Unleashed! 

Zapped!

Eaten Alive!

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Everybody Wants Some!!

Save Yourselves!

Hail, Caesar!

Mother!

Silent Night Deadly Night 3: Better Watch Out!

Wham! is good and I finally learned the other guys name. I want to say Anthony Ridgemont?

18. A Life on the Farm

I didn't mean to list three documentaries in a row, it makes this lists seem arbitrary. I assure you it happened organically. 

16. Barbie

Something from Greta Gerwig I especially liked this year was her performance in White Noise, a movie that came out on December 30th of last year. So there were only two days to talk about that movie and I'll shut up about it now. Just like these best 2023 album lists that put the SZA album that unexpectedly came out late last year. Sorry you made your list early, doesn't count!

15. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem

The best comic book based movie with an innovative animation style and Ayo Edebiri in the voice cast. Sorry, that was supposed to be a question. No. No, it's not.

14. Theater Camp

Ayo Edebiri is here too, along with her The Bear castmate Molly Gordon. Since I ran out of space in the television post let me say here that I like Claire but it's super you saw a TikTok that makes fun of tropes. I don't know if I'll ever see Bottoms, they don't seem to want to release it on physical media.

13. Totally Killer

A fun movie that's Back to the Future as slasher movie. That Mr. Strickland deserved an axe to the head. 

12. Showing Up

A significant thing that happened this year is I watched Jeanne Dielman, 23 Commerce Quay, a 201 minute movie were nothing much happens. It has endowed me with the ability to watch anything. Nothing happens in Showing Up but in a tight 108 minutes. So it was charming and concise.

11. A Thousand and One

A movie called A Thousand and One at number 11? There's something there. There's gotta be because it's too hard to blurb something you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment