Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Best Movies of 2023 #32-42


 42. The Super Mario Bros. Movie

This is the movie I went to with my 13-year-old in April when I walked through the hallway of mediocrity. Fittingly, I'd say this is the start of the grade C and better movies. Averageness starts here!

41. Plane

More like Plain! But, like, a plain donut or plain M&M's. Sure, you might prefer a movie with a honey glaze. And sure, they keep discounting your favorite Crispy movies, this time for something called "Crunchy Cookie" that some say is the same flavor as Crispy but is definitely different. But still good though.

40. Cocaine Bear

Yes, the trailer was probably enough but at least Margo Martindale got to be horny in a movie.

39. Boston Strangler

I complained about Carrie Coon not getting enough attention 9 years ago. And while this movie didn't make much of a splash she's been doing great. Don't worry, past me. Oh, and while we're talking, Mary Elizabeth Winstead is going to be in a Star Wars TV show and you won't be able to muster any enthusiasm. Weird, right?

38. Maestro

Everybody talks like they're in Gilmore Girls but it's the 50's and non-Jewish actors are playing Jews. Wait, that's just The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

37. Rye Lane

This is getting awards attention but just from the British. They think Oasis is good.

36. No Hard Feelings

Rye Lane is fine but fell into some rom com clichés. This raunchy sex comedy about a hot woman and a nerd manages to avoid most of the things your expecting while reading that description.

35. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

I liked it! Some people are saying it's worse than Crystal Skull? No. And the ending is good. I was afraid they weren't going to go there.

34. The Quiet Girl

This is the highest grossing Irish-language film ever. Which didn't sound right until I learned there are almost no Irish-language films. Which still doesn't sound right. But then neither does Gaelic. I joke, good luck not dying out!

33. Blaze

This movie had some tough subject matter that at times didn't look like it would be able to handle. But I was rooting for it, we were all rooting for it. When my mother yells at me like this it means she loves me.

32. Air

Not the best "buy-o-pic" this year but good considering I don't care about those shoes. Hey, there's a scene where they really shit on an athlete as mediocre so I looked him up and he had killed himself, possibly over his limited success. That's strange, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment