Thursday, December 21, 2023

Best Music of 2023

I don't listen to music anymore but I did look at a lot of 'best of' lists. My favorite albums in the past were rarely on those lists. But here is what caught my ear:

1. Chappell Roan - The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess


This drew my interest because she calls herself a "Midwest Princess" but it turns out she's from Southern Missouri. Okay...

2. Olivia Rodrigo - Guts 

Also dubious is that this album seems to have nothing to do with the 80s toy line GUTS!

3. Youth Lagoon - Heaven Is a Junkyard

Move over Creeper Lagoon, there's a new, younger Lagoon in town! You're on notice Childhood Estuary.

4. Young Fathers - Heavy Heavy


This was the year I went straight to the Ys at the record store, checked behind the new Yo La Tengo, and bought the next album. Hello Swedish synthwave artist Yota.

5. 100 gecs - 10,000 gecs

If only for this song:


Honorable mention: Caroline Polachek because her name sounds like every girl I went to grade school with in Milwaukee.

No comments:

Post a Comment