Friday, December 29, 2023

Best Movies of 2023 #10-1

Unranked movies: I forgot I saw Still: A Michael J. Fox movie, which is great. The Mission was too late and wasn't worth it anyway. Silver Dollar Road was fine.

10. Are You There God? It's Me Margaret

I didn't read any Judy Blume growing up but I was vaguely aware the book was about periods but surely about other things. Nope, just about periods and the movie's subject matter is fertile ground from which flows comedy and drama, at times heavy and other times spotty... I'm sorry. These write-ups have become quite a project.

9. BlackBerry

This is the superior "buy-o-pic" of the year. Funnier than Air. It made me want the Blackberry to succeed even though I also didn't care about this product. I don't even think I had a smartphone yet at the point this movie ends. Is there going to be a Google+ movie? I had that from the beginning. 

8. Blue Jean

Are people tired of gay stories where the drama comes from being in the closet? I don't know, it still works and this film takes place in 1988 so I'll allow it.

7. Talk to Me

Sometimes there's a consensus stand out horror movie of the year and for a bit it looked like this was the one. But there were too many good ones.

6. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

This movie didn't even have an ending and it's this high. But I love when a movie ends even when I'm enjoying it. So wait, did I like this more because it ended early or less because it never ended? I don't know!

5. Full Time

This movie was like Run Lola Run except it's just a lady trying to live her life. And there's no techno or threat of death? I don't really remember Run Lola Run, maybe I'm thinking of Logan's Run.

4. No One Will Save You

I have to admit I didn't notice there was no dialogue. This is the best horror movie of the year except some people are calling the next three movies horror.

3. Leave the World Behind

This feels like Don't Look Up or Birdbox or any of those Netflix movies that people hate now. Why are people so filled with hate?

½. Poor Things 

The other late addition movie. I was afraid this was going to be one of those 'dumb person teaches us about ourselves' movies like Forrest Gump or Being There. But this one has more weird sex, cadavers and monstrosities. 

2. Beau Is Afraid

Speaking of, that attic scene! Here was my feeling watching Beau Is Afraid. The first hour is amazing. The second hour I was thinking, 'don't blow this movie, I loved you' and the third hour I thought, 'good enough!, you stuck the landing'. Maybe with a little hop.

1. Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One

I don't like this anymore than you do. A Tom Cruise blockbuster that's the seventh movie in the franchise is the best movie of the year. It's a real bummer. I wish it was something cool like Godzilla Minus One, popular like Killers of the Flower Moon or Past Lives. Maybe Anatomy of a Fall or The Zone of Interest, I don't know which of those two is which. But it's this dumb movie that's better then anything else I saw this year with great direction, exciting action sequences, great humor, interesting characters and a propulsive plot. Oh well, maybe next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment