Saturday, December 23, 2023

Best Movies of 2023 #43-52

Just like in 2020, I'm going to rank every 2023 movie I saw this year. Except in 2020 I did it because there were so few. This time there are 52 so I better get started.

52. Retrograde

I took a chance on a movie on streaming with no reviews or stars or any conversation around it. It does have a positive blurb from the Wisconsin Film Festival in the trailer.

51. Skinamarink 

Cheer up makers of Retrograde, we're only on the second movie and it's one that has appeared on some Best Of lists this year. Any two minutes of Skinamarink is a fun, creepy YouTube video. Except it's 100 minutes and a feature film. You know 70 minutes is a perfectly respectable length for a movie, makers of Skinamarink.

50. Wish

I'm keeping names out of these write-ups so they won't google themselves and feel bad. Now the makers of Wish won't know my ten-year-old's review was "It really sucked!" 

49. Renfield

I was taking the 13-year-old to a movie and wished I was seeing Renfield instead. Well, that movie hasn't appeared on the list yet so joke's on me. For Wish I would've preferred Godzilla Minus One. And for the record, when I took the kids to a re-release of The Nightmare Before Christmas I would've chosen Priscilla.

48. Meg 2: The Trench

I would've skipped this one but it's directed by [redacted] of indie English horror movie fame so curiosity got the best of me.

47. Mafia Mamma

A poster in a movie lobby is the only thing that made me aware of this one. Toni Collette is good anyway. Sorry Toni, hi.

46. Five Nights at Freddy's 

I did enjoy that with each passing day it meant the movie was 20% closer to the end. 

45. Evil Dead Rise

Actually, this was a lobby poster at the same time as Mafia Mamma and Renfield. Maybe don't see a movie in April.

44. A Haunting in Venice

I haven't seen the other Hercule Poirot movies but this one takes place on Halloween so I just had to check it out this past late November. 

43. Enys Men

I'd been waiting for this director's other movie Bait to come across the pond for years. Finally both appeared on streaming at the same time. I haven't watch Bait yet.


That wasn't edited, the whole movie is like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment