Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Best Movies of 2023 #31-22

31. Cassandro

There's a true life, 80's wresting movie in theaters right now. No thanks! I already enjoyed this movie about a gay luchador.

30. Sick of Myself

Norway is usually good for at least one good movie a year. That all we expect from you Norway. The director already has another movie out with Nic Cage!

29. Cobweb

You may not have heard of this because it was counter programing to Barbenheimer, which was already its own built-in counter programming. Plus it takes place over Halloween and came out in the summer but it should become a Halloween staple like Trick 'r Treat or Flesheater (me only).

28. They Cloned Tyrone

One of my favorite things now is a movie that muddies exactly when it's supposed to be taking place.

27. M3GAN

This was the first movie to come out this year and it appears in the middle of this list. My wish for you in the new year is that an equal number of movies will be better and worse than the first movie you watch.

26. Knock at the Cabin

M. Night Shyamalan continues his return to form. The Next Spielberg is out of his Hook/Always slump.

25. Infinity Pool

There's a scene where someone asks, "what if we're the clones and not the originals?" to which someone else replies, "what difference would that make?" and it's dropped right there. That's when the movie won me over.

24. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Since Rocket Racoon is the focus of this one I suppose this is the Bradley Cooper performance everyone will be talking about. But I'm afraid it will overshadow Linda Cardellini as Lylla the Otter.

23. Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

Cardellini's brother on Freaks and Geeks directed a very good movie with... a Bradley Cooper cameo?

That's really going to split the Oscar vote.

22 ½. The Creator

The problem with this list is that I'm still watching movies while making it. So The Creator sneaks in after I already numbered everything. The question is, what happens if I watch a movie that ranks within what I've already posted. I won't watch Asteroid City for this reason. In fact, I'll never watch Asteroid City just in case that causes any problems with anything ever.

22. May December

I also watched director Todd Haynes' Safe and Dark Waters this year but decided to disqualify them from this list due them being released in previous years. Nice try other-years movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment